Hairlocs Hair Extensions

I first tried Hairlocs Hair Extensions in the beginning of January 2010, and I’ve been happy with the quality of the extensions overall. I went to the salon once in the past 5 months to move the extensions back up near the roots of my hair, but other than that these extensions have held up and retained the funky colors I wanted (which usually wash out in 1 to 2 weeks if I colored my actual hair).

You can also apply heat to these extensions — on the left I used my CHI 1″ Flat Iron to make my hair extra straight, and on the right I curled my hair using my Enzo Milano Curling Iron (see my review):

You can swim/sauna, exercise, color/perm/relax your hair, wear your hair up in various styles, and use all hot tools without damaging these extensions! :)

If you plan to try Hairloc extensions, here are the Do’s and Don’ts to make your extensions last as long as possible:

Do’s

• Secure the hair with one hand while brushing.
  • Always brush the ends first.
  • Brush the scalp to keep the extensions clean at the roots.
  • Brush the hair before washing or having any chemical service.
  • Condition from the ponytail down.
  • Use spray conditioners only on the ends to keep them silky.

Don’ts

• Go to bed with wet hair.
  • Brush/comb when hair is wet.
  • Condition the scalp with heavy conditioners.
  • Brush upside down.
  • Wash upside down (avoid using a circular motion to lather hair).
  • Attempt to maintain your extensions yourself.

Here’s a closeup of the extension (which I’m holding upright) and how it holds onto my hair:

I took this picture last week — the day before I went to the salon to get them removed, since I wanted a new look for my graduation this Friday.

When I first got the extensions in, the strands that the extensions were connected to felt tight, like bobby pins tugging a bit on my hair. It took about 2 to 3 days for the tightness to wear off, and ever since then the extensions felt like they were part of my hair. I just had to get used to the placement of the beads, so that I remembered to avoid them as I brushed my hair.

In terms of cost, I paid $10 per extension, and I got 7 extensions in the “peek-a-boo” area (near the back of my ears) on each side plus 2 close to the top front of my hair. These can get pricey when you add a lot of them to your hair, but these are especially great for blue/red/purple/pink/etc. colors because they last a really long time with just a little fading over the course of the 5 months I’ve had them on. An added bonus is that you don’t have to spend hours at the salon to get colors in your hair — each extension took about 30 seconds to attach using a bead (no heat or glue required).

I highly recommend Hairloc extensions for those of you who want to add some color (or volume) to your hair without damaging it.

IvelinaMay 26th, 2010 at 7:39 am

I was curious how you got the blue in your hair!!!
This sounds awesome, can’t wait to try the hairlocs. I hope they do red colors….
Thanks, Wycee!

WyceeMay 26th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

They absolutely have red colors!!! And many different shades of red too! The reason why I switched to Hairlocs in the first place is because I got peek-a-boo highlights in red, and it washed off after a week and a half. Hairlocs are a lot of fun!

IvelinaMay 26th, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Awesome!!!
I have stayed away from highlights and anything that damages hair because I actually want to have nice hair in 30 years…

Now I am really really excited that there are extensions that do not damage hair!!!!!!!
Can’t wait to try them :)
Thanks, Wycee!

WyceeMay 26th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

No problem! Send me a picture when you do! :D

Catt HughesJune 19th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Do you have a color chart of what colors Hairlocs come in? With my clip ins I use a combination 27 or 28/613. I just don’t know if they have a strawberry blonde or not. Thanks, Cathy

WyceeJune 21st, 2010 at 1:23 am

Hi Cathy,

I don’t have a color chart. When you go to a salon that has someone certified to do hairlocs, they should have a color ring made with human hair of the different colors they have. Also, your stylist can also dye the hairlocs so that you get the color you want (that’s what I got done to get my blue shade). There’s a picture of the color ring on the Hairlocs website (click here). Here’s another link with a slightly larger picture of it (click here). Hope that helps!

[…] own hair or with Hairlocs (a different type of hair extension that lasts for a few months — click here to read my Hairloc extensions review), I buy these POP Color Strips first. I get them in pairs so that I can clip one behind each ear […]

[…] to the salon). For my current hairstyle, I got my blue and purple Hairloc hair extensions removed (click here to read my review on Hairlocs) and replaced them with low-maintenance highlights for the summer. Usually “low-maintenance […]

faisneJuly 14th, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

WyceeJuly 14th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Hi! Yes, you’re welcome to quote my post on your blog. Please also include a link to http://www.nerdygirlmakeup.com when you quote. Thanks! :)

Sandra ThomasAugust 13th, 2010 at 12:13 am

Hey, This is a great article. You can choose your favorite colors for your hair. There are different types of extensions which is useful for us. Hairlocs Hair Extension is too awesome… This shades in different colors. Thanks….

Pamela YarboroughAugust 27th, 2010 at 11:47 am

How much did your extensions cost? My daughter wants them for her birthday.

WyceeAugust 27th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Hi Pamela,

At the salon I go to, they are $10 per extension. I got a total of 16 extensions (7 on each side, plus 2 on the front), so it was $160.

Pink and Blonde HighlightsNovember 22nd, 2010 at 12:03 am

[…] been thinking about trying highlights like these, check out my clip-in hair extensions and my Hairlocs Hair Extensions reviews first and see which method of getting colorful highlights works best for you! If you do get […]

Nicole PusateriFebruary 9th, 2011 at 8:11 am

Thanks for such helpful information! Your hair looks beautiful!

I need hair extensions more for volume than anything else, as I was very ill, and now
am recovering — but my hair got really thin when I was very sick. Do you think these
are a good choice for adding volume?

WyceeFebruary 9th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Nicole! :) I personally use Hairlocs to add pops of color without damaging my hair (no need for bleaching, for example). Each Hairloc strand has a very small amount of hair though, so I’m not sure how it would work for adding a significant amount of volume since you would need a lot of them and it could get pricey. Usually longer strips of hair extensions are added underneath your own hair to add volume, and I would imagine that they have some weight to them that you’d have to get used to. I really like the Hairloc process of attaching them to my hair though, because there’s no heat or glue required — I’m just not sure if they have a similar process for attaching bigger extensions. If you want to get the extensions that stay in your hair for a certain period of time (vs. the clip-in ones that you just remove at the end of the day), then I think it’s best to ask a hair stylist who’s both trained and certified in adding hair extensions. Tell him/her about your hair, and see what they recommend for your hair type. I’m happy that you are feeling better, and I hope this info is helpful! :)

shareeMarch 6th, 2011 at 8:43 am

I wont get them. Ive done research and your hair will ball up near the beads. This is a reacurring problem. Plus you do lose hair though they say you dont. Im really upset about this as I was hoping there was an alternative to the clips.

WyceeMarch 7th, 2011 at 1:18 am

Hi Sharee,

It helps to use a clarifying shampoo a couple times a week to prevent hair from “balling up near the beads”. I used Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo about 2-3 times a week, and I didn’t experience any problems with my hair and the Hairloc extensions. It might also be that I didn’t have a lot of these extensions in one area — I had a few spread out just to add pops of color, so I found them to work really well for me. :)

AngelaMarch 31st, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I just got some today. She does them $5 for 2 strands. I got about 20 strands of purple and she only charged me $35!!
I absolutely love it.
I sure hope I dont have problems with it balling up near the bead….

WyceeApril 4th, 2011 at 11:56 am

Hi Angela,

Nice! What a great deal! :)

DawnApril 24th, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Your hair looks great! I have been wearing hairlocs for years. Now my hair stylist
has moved to FL. I live in NY. Looking for a new and GOOD hair stylist who works
with hair locs. I do not live in the city. Any way your hair looks great.

WyceeApril 25th, 2011 at 12:23 am

Thanks Dawn! I’m thinking about getting Hairlocs again… just don’t know what color(s) yet! :)

Random ChickJune 29th, 2011 at 10:50 am

Thank you for your post!
I’m tired of seeing people complain about losing hair due to hairlocs. The system doesn’t cause hair loss at all. The hair that you “lose” is hair that would naturally shed, but stays in place until the beads are removed. Otherwise, the system is perfectly safe if you follow yours stylist’s instructions.

TaelynJanuary 22nd, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I want to get hairloc extensions, but all the places i’ve been looking are real expensive (like 1000$ no joke!) What salon do you get yours done at??

WyceeJanuary 23rd, 2012 at 1:58 am

Hi Taelyn,

Wow — how many extensions do they give you for that price? Keep in mind though that I only got 14 Hairloc extensions total (just to add a little bit of a fun color to my hair), and that cost me $160. If you get a lot of them, then the cost can add up. That’s why I only get this type of extension when I only want a few colorful sections.

StephanieFebruary 8th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Hello –

Love your Blog!

I was just wondering… Why is it a hair don’t to go to bed with wet hair?

WyceeFebruary 9th, 2012 at 1:33 am

Thanks Stephanie! :) I saw on an episode of The Dr. Oz Show that keeping your hair wet does not make you sick (it’s a myth). I don’t really go to bed with wet hair because I get cold easily and I prefer to sleep with dry hair. Sometimes when I want to roll my hair so that it’s curly when I wake up, I towel dry my hair so that it’s damp but not wet, and I just sleep with soft curlers and damp hair. I haven’t gotten sick or come across anything negative from doing that. Hope that helps!

StephanieFebruary 24th, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’m glad that’s a myth b/c I’m notorious for going to bed with wet hair…lol

DEBI GOODApril 1st, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I DONT KNOW WHERE ALL YOU LADIES GET YOUR HAIR AND COLOR AND EXTENSIONS DONE, BUT I CAN GIVE YOU ONE RECOMENDATION FOR ALL YOUR COLOR AND EXTENSION NEEDS HIS NAME IS PAUL JUMA HE IS IN VEGAS HE IS CERTIFIED WITH HAIR LOCS HIS IS A TRUE PROFESSIONAL, HE DOES INSANE COLOR WOMEN TRAVEL FROM ALL OVER US TO GET THEIR HAIR DONE BY HIM. IM IN ORANGE COUNTY, AND I GO MAY 6TH. GOOGLE HIM, IM A FORMER SYLIST AND I WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE. HE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU!!! GO TO VEGASBESTEXTENSIONS.COM AND SEE FOR YOURSELF DEBI

WyceeApril 2nd, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info, Debi! :)

DebMay 31st, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I have had my extensions a little over a week. Just wondering is it normal to have approximately 12 come out already? I have been following the Do’s and Dont’s.

WyceeJune 1st, 2012 at 1:16 am

Hi Deb! During the 5 months I wore these Hairloc extensions (note that after 3 months I had my hair stylist move them up since my hair grew), none of my extensions came off. You should talk to your hair stylist about that!

MichelleJune 27th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Do not get them if you want permanent hair follicle damage….aka permanent hair loss! Tonya Haynes Brown of Columbia, SC so called professional…advised that it wouldn’t damage my hair….I had these put in for 6 months in 2009 and i am still missing a lot of hair on the base of my hair line…I already had fine textured hair and to lose natural hair growth has limited what I am able to do with my hair for almost 3 years now. My hair was to the middle of my back but could never wear my hair in anything but a ponytail as I am missing so much hair it was stringy / patchy…..got my hair cut to a shoulder length bob….and guess what it still doesn’t fix the permanent hair loss…stuck with wearing my hair in a pony tail.

WyceeJuly 19th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Hi Michelle — sorry to hear that! I wore mine for a total of 5 months (after 3 months, I went back to the salon to have them moved up so that they were closer to the roots again). I didn’t have any issues with my hair, but I also didn’t have very many in to begin with (I used them to add color to my hair, not volume). Thank you for sharing your experience with us.