Maybelline The Falsies Volum’Express Mascara

Maybelline came out with The Falsies Volum’Express Mascara a few months ago, but I haven’t gotten around to trying it until now (actually, when reader Emily submitted her Fan Look pictures, her lashes made me run out to my local drugstore and finally buy it! :)).

The mascara brush is spoon shaped (shown on the right). To achieve the best results, place the spoon side (the part that goes inward) against your lashes, sweeping them from root to tip. Apply more coats as desired while the mascara is still wet. I like using two coats on my upper lash line and one coat on my lower lash line.

I haven’t really been wowed by a mascara for a long time until now. Click on this picture to take a closer look at how my lashes look with and without The Falsies Mascara (I got the “291 Very Black” waterproof version). My lashes have pretty good length on their own, but they are very straight and stubborn to curl. The Falsies Mascara actually keeps my lashes curled up the entire day, even when I’m ready to wash off my makeup!

I got the waterproof version, because I’ve found that the waterproof one helps hold the curl more. My eyes tend to get watery as well, and the waterproof one does not budge at all. However, this also results in requiring a little more effort to remove it — I use a Q-tip and eye makeup remover (Lancome Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover) along my lashes (with my eyes closed) to gently remove it, since my usual makeup removing routine isn’t enough to clean it all up.

If you prefer a mascara that’s easier to clean up (without the risk of ending up with raccoon eyes when you wash it off), then take a look at my Blinc Kiss Me Mascara review. But I am happy to say that Maybelline The Falsies Mascara is definitely my new favorite mascara — and what makes it even better is that it’s only around $7-8 regular price (I got mine on sale for $5)! Let me know what you think of this mascara. :)

WyetteSeptember 15th, 2010 at 6:22 am

Buying it!! : )

WyceeSeptember 16th, 2010 at 12:10 am

Yay! :) Let me know how it turns out for you!

CassidyDecember 3rd, 2010 at 8:02 pm

i’ve been obsessed with this mascara ever since i saw the add in a magazine
i just got some money and im going to buy it later tonight

WyceeDecember 6th, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Hi Cassidy! This mascara is great! Get the waterproof one though if your eyelashes don’t usually stay curled. Let me know how you like it! :)

My Christmas Stocking!December 27th, 2010 at 12:08 am

[…] picture on the left shows the assortment of makeup items stuffed in my stocking — a Maybelline The Falsies Volum’Express Waterproof Mascara in “Very Black” (somehow Santa overheard when I told Greg that I was running out of the one […]

CLFebruary 1st, 2011 at 5:15 am

Hey, to remove waterproof mascara easily, try olive or mineral (baby) oil… put some on your fingertip and rub gently (close your eyes tighly) and you’ll see the mascara dissolve. Then use some make up remover (for waterproof eye make up) to remove the rest… I prefer to do it using a kleenex instead of cotton balls/pads, I find it more gentle to my skin.. good luck!

WyceeFebruary 1st, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Thanks CL for the info! :)

EmilyFebruary 8th, 2011 at 8:13 pm

WOW I just saw this! So glad that my look inspired you to buy this, its the only mascara I have used since my first time trying it! (PS, I just started having time to play around and start trying makeup again, and I have another look I want to submit to you tomorrow! :) )

WyceeFebruary 8th, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Hi Emily! It’s the only mascara I’ve been using since this post! :) So happy to hear that you have time to experiment with makeup again — can’t wait to see your next look!

NilaMay 19th, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Hey Wycee,
I’ve read a few Reviews on this mascara and they all say that it’s really good…. for a few weeks than it starts to clump up. Have u used this mascara long enough to give me the “long term” feedback? I wanna purchase it but a little sceptical.

Thanks! =]

NilaMay 19th, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Okay, I bought it. Super excited to try it out!!!

WyceeMay 21st, 2011 at 2:18 am

Hi Nila! LOL at the fact that your comments were written less than 2 hours apart and you bought the mascara sometime between then haha! :) I used my first tube of this mascara for about 3 months and experienced just a little clumping. I think it depends on how many coats you like to apply and how long it takes you to apply it — the more coats and the more time it takes you, the more clumping you might encounter since the wand will be exposed longer. I apply 2 quick coats on my top lashes and 1 on my lower, and I haven’t had any issues long term. Let me know how you like it!

NilaMay 31st, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Just an update:

Hey Wycee!
I have used it and I love it! Thanks for the Review and your absolutely awesome (well-structured) site! I think I’m addicted!!!!!!……

WyceeJune 1st, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hi Nila! So glad to hear that! Enjoy your new mascara :)

ErinOctober 1st, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I have used Givenchy, Dior, Benefit and MUFE and this (Maybelline Falsies) is by far the best! I go back and forth between regular & waterproof. I highly recommend the Black Velvet version though. It’s more pigmented to me. And yes the best part is the price. I can afford to have a tube at home and a tube in my makeup bag/purse. Unlike when I was spending $25+ on mascara. Way better results with Falsies!

WyceeOctober 3rd, 2011 at 10:49 am

Thanks for your feedback, Erin! Yes, these are great! I always stick to the waterproof ones just because it helps hold a curl on my super straight lashes. I have a Black Drama one that I haven’t opened yet — still waiting to get through a couple other tubes I’ve been trying out, but I’m sure I’ll love it too! :)

Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash MascaraJanuary 9th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

[…] happily going through two tubes of Maybelline The Falsies Volum’Express Mascara (see my review), I decided to try out Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash Mascara to see how it compares. Aqua Smoky […]

MiraJuly 13th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

You have awesome eyelashes! :D I looked through the post and comments hoping to find info on the rest of the products used on your eyes in the photo, but didn’t see anything… Would you mind posting it if there’s any way you could possibly remember it after all this time? Lol

WyceeJuly 19th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Aww, thanks Mira! Here’s the link to the smokey taupe makeup look I wore here: http://www.nerdygirlmakeup.com/2010/09/14/smokey-taupe-look-my-yellowstone-trip/ :)