Pink and Blonde Highlights

I went to the salon to touch up the low-maintenance blonde highlights I wrote about back in July. Since then, my hair grew out about 3 inches. I really liked the highlights I got, but I wanted a little something to make my hair not completely the same as it was over the summer. So I decided to get some pink highlights mixed in with the side sections of blonde highlights I have near each ear. I’ve never had my hair dyed pink before, so I thought it would be fun (and it matches the pink color on this website’s logo :)).

These pictures were taken at the end of the day (the makeup I wore here is the Inglot Green and Brown Look, which still looked pretty good after 12 hours of wear). Here’s how my new hairstyle looks on the side and from the back.

I wanted the pink highlights to peek out from my brunette hair, so I asked for the top half of both side blonde sections to be pink and the rest left blonde. If I leave my hair down, the pink doesn’t show too much — just mostly at the ends (like in the very first picture of this post). However, I can part my hair in a way that makes more of the pink sections appear, like in the pictures below:

As with funky colors like this, the pink will fade rather quickly (about 2 weeks, more or less depending on how often you wash your hair). I had red highlights once, and that washed off in about a week and a half since I like to wash my hair everyday. If you’ve been thinking about trying highlights like these, check out my clip-in hair extensions and my Hairlocs Hair Extensions reviews first and see which method of getting colorful highlights works best for you! If you do get pink highlights as well (or if you already have some), try out my Hot Pink Look! :)

Jillian RueterNovember 22nd, 2010 at 6:00 am

I love your new highlights. Someone did a great job! I have been considering doing something like this and I think I’m going to copy you :) Thanks for the inspiration and great tips.

leanNovember 22nd, 2010 at 6:30 am

wow !! nice highlight wycee & i love ur make up you look fresh & blooming.. :) i like your eyebrow pls teach me the proper way on how to my eyebrow like yours.. tnx :)

leanNovember 22nd, 2010 at 6:33 am

wow !! i love ur make up you look fresh & blooming.. :) i like your eyebrow pls teach me the proper way on how to do my eyebrow like yours.. tnx :) nice highlights too..

WyceeNovember 23rd, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Jillian! Send me a picture if you do! :)

WyceeNovember 23rd, 2010 at 2:18 pm

haha thanks! I use my Claudio Riaz Instant Brow brush with a dark brown eye shadow everyday: http://www.nerdygirlmakeup.com/2010/04/10/claudio-riaz-instant-brow-brush/ :)

LollyNovember 24th, 2010 at 2:55 am

Your new hairstyle looks fabulous!

Can’t believe you’ve made it through life for so long without pink hair though ;-)
(mine’s been every colour under the sun since I was about 14! Currently rocking a blue-black bob with a chunk of silver blonde and a couple of bluey-green extensions)!

WyceeNovember 26th, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Lolly! I actually had blonde hair for most of college. The main reason for the delay is that I avoided anything red or close to it due to school spirit (I went to UC Berkeley where our colors are blue and gold, and our rival Stanford is red). Now I’m catching up on my hair colors hana :) Your hair sound fabulous! I want to see a picture!!

LindaMay 25th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I like your hair girl.. about six monthes back i dyed my hair a chocolate brown and put tons of dark pink highlights in it. I really loved it but it washed out soooo quick! EVEN after i spent $60 on a special shampoo & conditioner that was SUPPOSED to lock the color in! iam liking the idea of the clip in extensions….

MollySeptember 11th, 2011 at 11:04 am

I wanted to get my hair wid blond n pink highlights since last yr but i couldnt i wasnt allow to do it but i want to get it for christmas………..i love pink alot so dats y i wanted it…………..

WyceeSeptember 12th, 2011 at 11:31 am

Hi Molly! You can try looking into Hairloc Hair Extensions at a nearby salon that has them. They are ~$10 per extension, but they come in all sorts of colors and it only takes seconds to attach them (they are attached using a bead; no heat or glue!). I like the extensions since if something comes up where I want to take the colors off right away, I would just need to make a quick trip to the salon to get them removed (and a quick trip again later to have them put back on). Here’s a link to a review I wrote about this type of hair extension:

Otherwise, the clip-in extensions are fun too. I have these in pink as well! :)

Whichever route you take to getting your pink highlights, I’m sure it will look pretty and that you’ll enjoy it!

KellyMarch 29th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Thanks so much for these pictures! I took them to my stylist when I got my hair done today. LOVE IT!!

WyceeMarch 30th, 2012 at 12:36 am

Hi Kelly! That’s awesome! I went to the salon today too (just for a trim this time) :)

shyanneMay 7th, 2012 at 9:59 am

i love that

WyceeMay 9th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thanks Shyanne! :)

victoriaJuly 22nd, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I have really dark hair like yours and I always want pink in my hair. I tried several years ago doing different sections pink, i bleached first and then I dyed pink but I couldn’t find a good pink that wouldn’t become dull the next day. And I have tried extensions..i had pink, blue and purple extensions at the same time and I LOVED THEM but I just want to dye my hair now. Any good brands of hair dye that you like?

WyceeJuly 23rd, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Hi Victoria,

I’m not sure what brand I used, since I went to a salon to get it done. My hair stylist did say that the more you keep touching up the pink, the longer it will eventually last. Hope you get the pink you’ve always wanted! :)