Back to MAC (Back2Mac/B2M) is a program at MAC Cosmetics that rewards customers for recycling their empty containers. When you turn in 6 containers that have plastic (in their primary packaging, excluding cardboard boxes they come in), you receive either a free lipstick at a MAC counter in a department store or a free lipstick, lip gloss, or single eye shadow at a freestanding MAC store. Department stores that have MAC counters/kiosks include Macy’s, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale’s. The only exception for the free lipstick is that it cannot be any Viva Glam product, since all Viva Glam proceeds go toward the MAC AIDS Fund. This time around, I brought in 2 Select Sheer Loose Powder jars, a Set Powder jar, a Plush Lash mascara tube, and 2 single eye shadows.
Here are some examples of empty items you can exchange as credit for 1 of the 6 containers for Back2MAC:
- Eye Shadow (Trio Compact, Quad Compact, or Single complete with metal pan — though some MAC stores are not as strict about having the pan as others)
- Pro Palette Refill Pan with magnet and original MAC label on back
- Cream Colour Base, Paint Tube, or Paint Pot
- Pigment Jar
- Mascara Tube
- Liquid Liner Tube
- Technakohl Liner (mechanical pencil with plastic, but not a wood-based pencil like eye pencil/kohl and lip pencil)
- Powder/Blush Compact
- Lipstick Tube, Lipglass Tube
- Foundation Bottle/Tube/Jar
- Wipes packaging with plastic lid
- Holiday Set — must be turned in as a whole set with all the containers it came with to count as 1 Back2MAC container
If the product came in a cardboard box, you can also check the flap of the box to see if “Back 2 MAC” is printed on it — if so, the product is eligible for the program!
I traded my empty containers for MAC Lipstick in “Naked Paris”. This is a sheer pink brown with shimmery multidimensional pearlized pigments. It has a lustre finish and has a wet look when applied. “Naked Paris” is a great everyday lipstick! Keep an eye out for it in one of my upcoming makeup looks!
Have you Back2MACed before? Let us know what freebies you picked out!