Kayla wrote to me a couple weeks ago asking for advice on what makeup she could wear for prom. She likes wearing smokey eye makeup on a daily basis, and she often uses blue eye shadow. However, Kayla wasn’t sure how to make her eye makeup stand out while wearing her very aqua blue prom dress. She didn’t want to overdo the blue, but she wanted her makeup to be interesting and eye catching. I replied back to her explaining the placement of the blue eye shadow of my Gold, Brown, and Teal Makeup Look — by putting the blue along the outer lower lash line, you can incorporate the color without it being overpowering. Since it’s also not a place you’d expect a color so bright, it’s very eye catching as well. Here’s how Kayla’s gray, silver, and blue prom makeup turned out (with some tips from Kayla on how she applied it)!
- Philosophy Hope in a Tinted Moisturizer in “Light” (use enough to lightly cover your entire face, making sure to blend it completely; add a little extra to problem spots like under eyes, scars, etc., and then wait about 10 minutes for it to completely dry)
- Bare Escentuals Prime Time Brightening Foundation Primer (use just one pump to prime your cheeks, nose, under eyes, and chin; wait about 5 minutes to dry)
- Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation in “Light” (make sure to blend with the neck and hairline, etc.)
- Bare Escentuals Prime Time Brightening Eyelid Primer (a little goes a long way — cover a light layer of primer from eyelash roots to eyebrow line; you don’t need to wait for this one to dry)
- Bare Escentuals bareMinerals E/S in “Garland” (upper lid area)
- Ulta E/S in “Ice Queen” (lower lid)
- Ulta E/S in “Granite” (start at the crease, and then blend lightly upwards; this creates the smokey eye effect)
- Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner in “Perversion” (upper lash line; create a mini cat eye)
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in “Zero” (upper waterline)
- Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner in “Bobby Dazzle” (from tear duct to center lower lash line)
- Sephora Collection Flashy Liner Waterproof in “08 Flashy Blue” (outer half of lower lash line)
- Eyelure Naturalites false lashes (click here to see how to apply false lashes)
- Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara
Brief Bio: Kayla is a junior in high school. She’s been doing makeup for as long as she can remember on herself, family, and friends. Kayla enjoys singing and playing a variety of instruments including guitar, cello, violin, bass, and piano. She wants to pursue a career in cosmetology and massage therapy (but would secretly like to get discovered ). She loves to laugh and make people laugh too!
Thanks so much, Kayla! You look gorgeous, and I love how your boyfriend’s jaw dropped when he picked you up for prom. I want a prom pic!
If you’d like to share one of your favorite makeup looks, send me an e-mail with your pictures, products used and where, and your brief bio to:
Please include at least one of each type of picture: full face, closeup of eye(s) open, and eye(s) closed. Can’t wait to see all the creativity out there!